JLRV partners with Carilion Children’s for drive-thru toy drive:
The holidays are going to look a lot different this year, especially for children in the hospital. Because of COVID-19 safety guidelines, children must remain in their hospital rooms. They won’t get visits from Santa, performers to keep them entertained or be able to play with other children in the playroom.
Carilion Children’s usually relies on corporate sponsors to provide holiday gifts but because most people are working virtually, employee toy drives are not likely this year. Junior League of Roanoke Valley (JLRV) is asking the community to step up and help make the holidays brighter for these children.
“It is an unprecedented year and a difficult time for many across the Roanoke Valley. Our members have a long history of stepping up during times of need, and this year is no different,” said Katie Jones, Executive Vice President of Junior League of Roanoke Valley. “We could not think of a better way to use our resources and put a smile on the faces of families during the holidays.”
“Over the years, we’ve been so fortunate to receive an outpouring of support from our community to make the holidays a little more normal for children who are with us,” said Dr. Donald Kees, interim chair of Carilion Children’s. “This year is different in a lot of ways, but the need is even greater because it may be more difficult for people to donate.”
Ways to donate include:
- Buy a toy from the suggested list and bring it to one of three Saturday drive-thru drop-offs: November 21, November 28 and December 5 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the parking lot of Tanglewood Mall outside the former JCPenney.
- *ALL DONATIONS MUST BE NEW. Thank You!
- Donate online, here, and your money will be used to buy toys, games and crafts for children
- Visit Carilion Children’s Amazon wish list and purchase the item(s) that will be directly mailed to the hospital. When choosing from the Amazon Wish List – donations should be sent to the address for Sarah Kress gift registry.
For a full list of requested items that you can download, please click here.
The two organizations will work together to make this as safe as possible for both the community and patients. Volunteers will wear personal protective equipment and the drive-thru will be contactless. Community members must wear masks when dropping off toys, and they will be asked to place them in the bins themselves. All donations will be quarantined for two weeks before they are distributed. Any toys left over after the holidays will be given out throughout the year.
Toy Drive Donations by Age Group for 2020
- Small stuffed animals with fabric eyes
- Plastic or board books in English and Spanish
- Stacking toys
- Baby Books, Touch Books
- Baby Blankets
- Sippy cups, rattles, teethers
- Light up musical toys
Toddlers and Preschoolers
- Shape sorters, pop-up toys
- Sturdy toys with few parts
- Stuffed animals
- Play-Doh (name brand, please)
- Preschool age games and card games: Chutes and Ladders, Candy Land, Hi Ho Cherry O, Old Maid, Go Fish, etc.
- Large, hard plastic animals
- Little People toys
- Wooden puzzles
- Fubbles no-spill bubble tumblers
- Lego sets for boys and girls
- Art sets, art supplies
- Craft kits
- Board games: Monopoly, Sorry, Life, Connect Four, etc.
- Card games with a coated finish: Uno, Skip Bo, Spot It, etc.
- All plastic action figures
- Hot Wheels cars
- Large cars and trucks
- Velvet posters, coloring books
- Crayola crayons and markers
- Robot/STEM activity kits
- Spanish/bilingual toys
- Complex Craft Kits & Lego Kits
- Gift cards in $10 increments: iTunes, Amazon, Target, Barnes and Noble, Starbucks, Chick-Fil-A, Sephora, Ulta, Game Stop
- Playing cards, Board games: Apples to Apples, Yahtzee, Phase 10 Dice, Blokus, etc.
- Artist quality markers, colored pencils, etc.
- Intricate coloring books
- Portable Bluetooth speakers
- Water bottles: Hydroflask, Camel Bak, etc.
- Over the ear headphones, Earbuds
- Remote control cars/drones
- Stretched canvases for painting
- Acrylic paints in small bottles and paint brushes
- Toiletry sets, nail polish/makeup
- Notebooks and journals
- Gift bags with wide bottoms
- Gift cards for Amazon, Target, Wal-Mart for purchase of unique/specific patient needs throughout the year
Clothing of All Sizes
- Throw blankets
A big thanks to Wheeler Broadcasting for being the toy drive media sponsors. Listen to these stations to hear about the toy drive.
Thank you to Lawrence Moving for providing trucks, boxes, and transportation of toys to Carilion!