Get to know the Junior League of Roanoke Valley
With approximately 420 total members the JLRV makes a difference in the greater Roanoke Valley through hands-on action to help children and their families, provide financial support in the form of grants to other community organizations, and through the long-term results of training effective volunteers. Our membership is open to women of all races, religions and national origins, and includes recent college graduates, busy moms and businesswomen – all of whom want to make a stronger impact in our community.
The Junior League of Roanoke Valley is committed to ensuring children and their families have the opportunities and services for optimal physical, education, cultural, emotional and social growth and development.
The Junior League is a member of the Association of Junior Leagues International, Inc. (AJLI). Comprised of Junior Leagues in the United States, Canada, Mexico, and Great Britain, AJLI has been providing support, guidance and leadership development opportunities to member Leagues for more than 90 years. More than 190,000 Junior League members have been the driving force behind the kinds of initiatives and institutions that make communities healthier, including: childhood immunization, family literacy, women’s shelters, children’s museums, historic preservation, leadership development, and more.
BENEFITS TO JOINING JLRV:
- Make positive changes in the Roanoke community
- Experience personal growth and leadership development
- Expand your circle of influence and connect with inspiring women
- Meet new people and form lifelong friendships
- Impact lives by giving back effectively and efficiently
- Expand your skill set: public speaking, public relations, sales, communications, marketing and more
- Participate in and improve a well-run organization
New Members of the JLRV complete a comprehensive year-long training series that allows them the opportunity to develop friendships, serve the local community through our partnerships and learn about our League’s structure and history. The New Member experience includes: small group meetings, educational lectures, community service projects, and our league functions including general membership meetings, fundraisers and socials.
Eligibility for Membership
The Junior League of Roanoke Valley uses the following criteria for consideration of prospective members
- Meets the age requirement (21 years-old by June 1 of the recruiting year)
- Resides in the Roanoke Valley or surrounding areas
- Has an interest in voluntarism
- Is willing to make a commitment to community service
- Has an interest in developing her potential for participation in community affairs
Applications for the 2022 – 2023 New Member class will be available later this summer. Reach out to our New Member CoChairs with Questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sample Course Requirements
- JLRV New Member Kick-Off
- General Membership Meetings
- New Member Meetings
- One Volunteer Project with New Member Class
- Three-hour Community Volunteer Shift
- One Stocked Market Volunteer Shift
- Participation in Little Black Dress Initiative
- Membership Dues
- Non-refundable Application Fee
- Fundraising Financial Commitment
Have you resigned from the Junior League of Roanoke Valley and are interested in reinstating your membership? Please email our Membership Experience VP at email@example.com to begin the process to join us again!